Edenowo T. Enang (PhD)


This paper studies The Grammatical and Global Functionality of the Internal Structures of English and Annang Clause Patterns in a comparative approach. It describes the ways of combining and ordering grammatical constituents such as verbs and noun phrases to form a clause, taking cognizance of the syntactic variations that are inevitable in the patterning systems in the grammar of the two languages. To achieve this purpose, it applies the Universal Grammar Principles which are used as basic elements in the Systemic Functional Grammar model as theoretical framework while Contrastive Analysis Hypothesis is used in order to establish similarities and differences which may be operational within the two languages. The results indicate that more than 85% of clause types identifiable in the two languages under comparison are similar and so could facilitate learning of the target language (English) by an Anaang bilingual while the remaining 15% could be regarded as a mild difference which cannot impede communication and learning of English by an Anaang bilingual in a second language situation. Conclusion was drawn that since the margin of the difference is minimal, an arrangement for a remedial programme would go a long way to bridging the gap of the difference between the two languages.


Universal Grammar, Global Functionality, Global Intelligibility, Internal Structures, English Clause Patterns, Annang Clause Patterns.

Full Text:



Anza, R. and Emenanjo, E. (1990). Teaching Nigerian Languages Experiences from the Delta. Emba Printing and Publishing.

Eka, D..( 2000). Issues in Nigerian English Usage. Scholars Press (Nig).

Eka, D. (2005). From Changes Divergences: Reflection on Global Englishes. 13th Inaugural Lecture of the University of Uyo,

Enang, E. and Urujzian, V. (2013a). “Anaang Learner of English and the Syntax-Related

Problems: A Contrastive Study”…in The Intuition. Vol. 5. No.1. Pp215-235.

Enang et al (2013b). “Politeness in Language Use: A Case of Spoken Nigerian English” In The Intuition. Vol .5. No.1 Pp. 272-285.

Enang et al (2013c). “Chosen Aspects of the Syntax of Educated Nigerian English” In

Academic Discourse: An International Journal, Vol. 6. No.1. 207-225.

Enang, E. and Edem, E. (2022). “Language Learning and Acquisition (SLA) in a Multilingual

Environment: A Case of English and Anaang from the Universal Grammar

Considerations onResearch and Pedagogical Innovations”. In DUTSIN-MA Journal of English and Literature (DUJEL), Vol. 5 (1), Pp. 442-465.

Greenberg, J. H. (1963). The Languages of Africa. Indiana University Press,

Huddlestone, R. (1996). English Grammar. Cambridge University Press.

Kachru, B. (1982). The alchemy of English. University of Illinnois Press.

Lado, Robert (1957). Linguistics Across Culture. University of Michigan Press.

Sinclair, J. (1996). English Grammar. Harper Collins Publishers.

Solarin, S. (1982). English Grammar and Comprehension. Macmillan Nigeria Pubs.

Udofot, I. (1996). “Pausing in Spoken Nigerian English”. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis, University of Uyo,

Udoka, S. (2018). English Participle Problems in Written Essays as Global Challenges in Language: A Syntactic Assessment of the Students of Akwa Ibom State University in a Second Language Situation. In AKSU Journal of English Vol. 1 (1&2).

Young, D. J. (1980). The Structure of English Clauses. Hutchinson & Co. Pub.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2023 Edenowo T. Enang (PhD)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.










 ISSN (Print):   2695-2319

ISSN (Online): 2695-2327





Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.